Thursday, July 28, 2005

Thursday Musette

Wow! Near-record low temperatures here in Tulsa overnight! It was 62F when I rode in to work this morning. I had a long-sleeved thermal shirt under my jersey, and I was glad to have it because the first part of my commute is mostly downhill. It was actually chilly!

Still, it will be close to 90 this afternoon, so I’m sucking down Gatorade in order to stay hydrated for the ride home.

It’s not an exaggeration to say that in Oklahoma you may need to use both the heater and air conditioner in the same day.

...

Fritz asked about putting my assailant’s tag number on-line. (See “Where to Begin” for the background). From my point of view, there’s nothing to gain from doing this and there are several pitfalls. This person may not ever harass a cyclist again. But if he does, the local police have his information already. If he has a history of hassling cyclists, I’d prefer the police deal with it. Yes, there’s a certain visceral appeal in the idea of vigilante justice, but let’s face it folks, it works well in the movies, but in real life it can backfire badly. So don’t even think about it.

...

Christmas is a long way off, but I’m already thinking about what to tell Mary. I may ask for a new saddle, a Brooks B17 in honey brown. There’s an old Brooks Pro on my fixed gear. I rode it all winter and I like it. I think I’d like a Brooks on my Bianchi too. I do value comfort!

...

Jordan, my fourteen-year-old, will out-grow his Nishiki road bike this summer. The kid weighs 160 pounds! That’s what I weighed when I graduated from high school! He’s gonna be a biggun. I promised him my Giant road racer when he was big enough, and it looks like that day is arriving far sooner than I expected. When he gets the Giant, I’ll need another performance bike, and my ego wants a Bianchi Pista. Like an Italian mistress, it probably won’t be good for me in the long run, but it sure would be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home