Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My thank-you letter

I promised to post this letter once I got around to writing it. So today I got around to it. It's easy to focus on all the mouth-breathing morons out there on the road, and too easy to ignore the people who make our rides more pleasant by driving safely and responsibly near cyclists.

Please feel free to cut and paste this. Adapt it for your own uses. I'll let you know if there's any feedback about it. Hey, I'm always looking for more material!

Anchor Stone Company
Owasso, OK

6SEP2005

Hello,

I'm one of the cyclists who rides 145th Street nearly every day. I've been doing this for a long time - about 10 years - at all times of the day and in all kinds of weather. And there's something that I've wanted to say about the truck drivers at the quarry.

You guys are great!

You're some of the safest drivers I've shared the road with in all these years. In fact, I prefer riding near the quarry rather than my alternate route, Mingo Road, because the professional drivers are more courteous and safety-minded. Believe me, cyclists notice.

With gas prices at all-time highs, there will be more cyclists on our roads, some of them terribly inexperienced. I trust that your drivers will treat them with the same attention and courtesy that I've seen.

Thanks again, and I'll see you on the road!

2 Comments:

Blogger hereNT said...

You make me wish that there was some company with great drivers that I pass every day...

11:56 PM  
Blogger Mikhail Capone said...

Thanking people who do a good job is important, and I'm happy to see that you're doing it.

Besides, on the pragmatical side, there's more chance that they'll try to keep up whatever they are doing well if they get feedback than if they don't.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home