Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

(Way off-topic, and without any cycling content whatsoever!)

Our family is having a turkey dinner tomorrow. For once, Mom is healthy. There have been times that my daughter and I had to make dinner, and one time we had to go out for dinner as Mary was too ill to cook. It looks like it'll be a nice day here tomorrow - sunny and in the 50s.

She bought a turkey breast from Schwann's. It's packaged in a plastic bag. All you have to do is put it in a pan with a little water, I think, and bake it. I've done them before and they're very good and very easy. You don't even remove the breast from the bag!

Holidays are hard on us. We both come from big families that had enormous dinners on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Do you remember that television ad with the line, "Bring out the second turkey!" My family actually did that. I am not exaggerating. We had a mob to feed. But when we moved to Oklahoma, Mary and I were alone. That had some good aspects in that we had to learn to depend on each other, and I believe it made us a tight-knit family. Still, we miss those big family dinners back home. I think back on those afternoons that I spent in my teens so incredibly bored with all those old folks around. Now, I'd love to spend a few hours with them.

So enjoy the holiday. Cherish your spouse and hug your kids. Sit around the dinner table telling stories that they'll remember long after we're gone. That's what holidays are all about - family.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Donut Guy said...

Amen. You couldn't have said it any better.

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home