Saturday, November 01, 2008

It's just after 7AM....

It's just after 7 AM as I write this. I've had 5 or 6 hours of sleep.

Yesterday, Halloween, went true to form at the lovely Chateau CycleDog. Holidays usually involve one of two things: plumbing disasters or personal injury. Halloween was no exception.

We saw the last of the neighborhood kid's at the front door sometime before 9 PM. Mary ran a tub full of hot water, wrapped her hair in a towel, and prepared to take what we call "Mom's vacation" - a long, hot, steamy tub bath. Both of our kids were off at parties with friends. I sat on the couch splitting my attention between television and this laptop.

At 9:45, the phone rang. Sometimes, as I go to answer it, I have that fleeting idea that it may bring bad news. That thought bounced through my head last night.

"Dad," Jordan said, "Can you meet me at the hospital?"

He broke a finger playing touch football about three weeks ago. He was afraid he'd broken it again. I told him that I'd be on my way in a few minutes.

A broken finger certainly isn't life threatening, but it can be very painful due to all those nerves. I've broken one in a car door and another while cheating in a relay race.

I went into the bathroom to tell Mom that I was leaving for the hospital. She was up and out of that tub like a Polaris missile launched from a submarine, absent the towel on top and all the bubbles, of course.

We were at the hospital a little after 10PM. Jordan stood at the ER entrance shuffling back and forth in obvious pain. We went inside, did all the usual paperwork, etc. They x-rayed his fingers and announced that in addition to the original break, he'd managed to sprain it as well. They relieved us of the co-pay, and a few minutes after midnight, we were on our way home.

The next holiday is Thanksgiving. I'm considering putting the family inside individually bubble-wrapped coccoons and turning off the water at the street side connector. Then I'll sit in the dark with a flashlight in hand while wearing my bicycle helmet. You can never be too careful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I'm glad your kid's relatively okay.

I remember my "I got hit by a car and I'm at the hospital" phone call to my dad as a teen and he completely freaked out. Of course I was obviously fine since I was talking to him on the phone, but I can imagine my reaction now might be similar if my children called with similar news.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

"Relatively" OK, is hitting it on the head, Fritz. He's a teenager, after all, and neither common sense or the laws of physics have any real impression on him.

But I was 18 once upon a time - back in the Pleistocene, I think - and I wasn't any different.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home