Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sapulpa Sunday






Sapulpa (pronounced sah-pa-LOOP-ah according to She Who Must Be Obeyed, but in reality it's sah-PULP-ah) is just southwest of Tulsa, a short drive or an easy bike ride along old Route 66. The downtown area consists of nicely preserved and restored brick buildings constructed just prior to World War One. Not all are restored, of course, but the town is making an effort to preserve its history.



There's a big regional car show coming up in Sapulpa in June. I asked Mary if she'd like to go, but it's a bit far for her and it would require a lot of walking. Lyndsay likes car shows, however, and it's possible she'll go along.






I use "Oklahoma Route 66" by Jim Ross for scouting out old routes and photographic opportunities. He detailed one of the old alignments west of Sapulpa that lead me to this dilapidated old drive in theater and this railroad trestle. The road winds up and down hills. It has a wealth of blind curves. At one time much earlier in life, I would have regarded it as a challenge, but these days I drive far more cautiously.

Sapulpa is a fascinating town. I spent about 4 hours there on Sunday. Chances are, I'll make more trips out there soon.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home