Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Snoooooow!!!

The local weather guys said we had a 50% chance of snow late Wednesday afternoon. "Only fifty percent?" I thought. "I'll ride to work and probably miss it."

The snow started just after dawn. As I write this after lunchtime, it's accumulated a couple of inches. Several co-workers offered me a lift home, but I declined. Predictably, my daughter called with the same offer. She worries too much.

Now, remember, a CycleDog is one sick puppy. I'm actually looking forward to riding in the snow. It's about 25F, so it should be nice and dry, with fair traction. I'm gonna have fun!

(Later)

The ride home really was fun! The roads were mostly snow-covered, but the temperature was at that ‘in between’ stage, where the snow wasn’t truly dry. yet wasn’t wet and slushy either. It was almost like paste. Sure enough, it glued itself inside my fenders, adding LOTS of rolling resistance. I had a tail wind, but the going was still hard. I felt like I was riding uphill all the way home. A heart rate monitor would have been useful because I was breathing hard!

Now, if I were a real flahute rather than an imaginary one, I'd ride to work through the snow tomorrow morning. But I'm not a big fan of riding in the dark in bad weather. We all draw the line somewhere when it comes to perceived risk, and riding in the dark when it's raining or there's snow on the road is mine.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Tay said...

Some lucky Tulsa chap got some really good pix. Santa rolled.

Santa Task Force were ALL over the place. Traffic slowed to a SAFE and SANE crawl, like it should be. Lotsa crashes AVOIDED.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Paul Tay said...

I just got an advisory through mySpace. The talk radio hacks were dissing Santa yesterday. ROFLMFAO! Santa's SUCH a shameless attention-monger. He'll do ANYTHING for the publicity, including biking in the SNOW! How PATHETIC!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home