Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Incident on Osage Prairie Trail




This came in email a few days ago. For those of you outside the Tulsa area, the Osage Prairie Trail starts near downtown and runs north along an old railroad right of way. This isn't the first incident along a local trail and it won't be the last. I was ambivalent about posting it because it portrays our area in a bad light, but on the other hand, there's an obligation to inform local cyclists in order to increase their awareness and (hopefully) make riding around Tulsa a safer, more enjoyable experience. I've done some light editing.



Yesterday, Sat., Feb. 9th, Brenda and I rode out to Sperry on the Osage Trail. We saw several people on our way, a few cyclists but mostly kids and young people. On our way back we turned into the neighborhood that you have to go through while the trail is closed for the Gilcrease construction.

There were 4 black teenage boys walking in the middle of the street and they must have heard us because they stepped apart (2 on each side) for us to ride through and just as we passed them the tallest one ran up to the back of Brenda's bike and kicked her tire trying to knock her down. Fortunately, she was able to maintain control and stay upright. I thought he'd thrown something at us and then I heard him running behind me and when I turned around to look I saw him reaching out to try and either catch me or kick me. Then he said, "Hey white bitch, I'm gonna slap your face!"

We were riding faster by then but he was running as fast as he could and I could hear his feet slapping the pavement as he chased us. I didn't think I was going to be able to out ride him but finally he stopped and we got away. It was a terrifying experience.

We didn't call the police but I think I will call tomorrow and report the incident (does anyone know the name of that street through the neighborhood?).

Also we noticed that there was glass numerous places along the trail that hadn't been there when we rode out. It's unfortunate to have a trail that nice and then have it trashed and/or be terrorized by hoodlums.

This is to warn everyone to be very careful if you choose to ride that route. Brenda and I will never ride on that trail again. It is too dangerous. It's chilling when I recall it and think about what could have happened had he knocked Brenda off her bike or caught me...Eve

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Tay said...

Ya get the feeling Santa just MIGHT know something about rolling on the BA, instead of Avery or Osage? More witnesses and better class of people. Naaaaaaaah. Forget it.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

One of my friends (an LCI) doesn't ride on trails when they're empty. She prefers the safety of riding on the road.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home