Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

I grew up as part of a large extended family. Mary did too. It was a rare week that didn't involve a dinner with aunts, uncles, cousins, or grandparents. When the whole family got together for a holiday dinner, we kids had to sit at our own table in the living room. You may remember that old television commercial with the line, "Bring out the second turkey!" My family actually did that. I am not exaggerating.

But after moving to Oklahoma, it's just the four of us. My friend Wade will join us for dinner later today. We have much to be thankful for this year. In fact, we have much to be thankful for throughout the year. I have a steady job that puts a roof over our heads and food on our table. It may not be grand, but it's certainly good.

There are some families in this suburban community who need help with basic necessities. The VonFranken food run is underway down in Tulsa again this year, collecting canned goods for needy families. Our own Owasso Community Development will be doing something similar over Christmas, and just like last year, I'll help out.

Wherever you are, look around and be thankful for what you have. Cherish your family and friends. Enjoy this day.

....because tomorrow is Black Friday, our annual celebration of wants over needs, grasping acquisitiveness, and conspicuous consumption. Some are calling it "Buy Nothing Day" as a symbolic way of turning their backs on materialism and consumerism. I won't go that far. I'll probably buy a cup of coffee.

My daughter has to work tomorrow. I offered to bring her lunch on my bike. She was worried about all the traffic, but I said it would actually be fairly easy. "They'll be gridlocked. I can just ride around them!" I don't know why, but I get a great deal of enjoyment out of that.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Coelecanth said...

I'm in Australia right now and they don't have Thanksgiving. It's Hard to remember the silly season at all when it's +40c out and you don't have the ususal reminders. Indeed, I keep getting a bit of a jolt when I walk into a store and see Christmas stuff because there hasn't been any Christmas advertising on tv.

I hope you and yours had a fine Thanksgiving and here's to an even better Christmas and new year.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home