Thursday, January 10, 2008

Comtemplating heresy...

(My garage almost looks like this!)

I have to admit this directly. I've been looking at mountain bikes. It's shameful, I know, but there's a certain appeal to a clunky, heavy, low-geared MTB as a commuter bike and all around basher. I've always been a dyed-in-the-wool-jersey guy (and I stole that phrase from Tim 'Masi Guy' Jackson. Remember, always steal the best) and I've always been on some sort of road bike for commuting. Oh, there was a brief affair with a cheap mountain bike about 20 years ago, but it passed quickly.

It's my knee, you know. It feels like there's a football inside it now and then. And I haven't been on any bike since Thanksgiving. I'm going a bit crazy. Which should explain the delusional ideation regarding mountain bikes. Maybe there's some kind of anti-psychotic drug I could take, or maybe a couple shots of brandy will do it.

Actually, there's a 40 hole rim out in the garage waiting to be laced up onto a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub. That could occupy some of my time and nervous energy. Then again, I could just clean out the garage.

On another subject - if you look at the bottom of the page, there's a nice little hit counter. Sometime soon, perhaps Friday or Saturday, it will turn over the 100,000 mark. That's right, one hundred thousand hits! I'm clearly not a prolific writer, but in all honesty, it's humbling to realize how many people read CycleDog. My ego could get all swolled up, but there's no better target than an oversized ego here in the CycleDog ranchero.

Seriously, thanks for reading, and if you happen to be the lucky 100,000th customer....well...you can help me clean out the garage.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Okay....?

-R

P.S. I snore too. Loudly. And with the same loving wifely reactions.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

99956 now!

I broke down and got a MTB a few years ago. It's actually kind of fun.

10:43 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Well, if you're willing to send me a plane ticket...

I ride a mountain bike in the winter for the tyre width. It gives me something to look forward to in spring, too.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Apertome said...

Hey now, there's no shame in mountain bikes! My old one, repurposed as an around town beater/foul weather commuter works great. And my newer one is great for hitting the trails.

Then again, I guess it depends what you want to do with it. Don't get a full-suspension mountain bike to ride on the road. It can be done, but ... not recommended.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Hey Steve, how many times did you hit reload so you can help the Dog with his chores? :-)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I've heard a lot of folks talk about cyclocross bikes to do what you seem to want to do with a mountain bike, as far as being a more stable, better tracked bike for foul weather commuter riding. You might look into that.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Tom Ezell said...

I broke down and got an MTB the middle of last summer as a means to deal with the much more "rustic" road networks when our agency moved to new digs way across town. Surprisingly, I liked it, and the big green MTB has become my main "urban assault vehicle."

If you're going to get into the fat-tired end of the craft, do seriously consider one of the 29er bikes, which basically gives you road bike wheels with MTB tires. Takes a little more motor to get those wheels rolling (probably not a problem if you're used to your fixie), but once you do, it's a very plush ride.

Does Tom's sell Gary Fisher bikes?

10:18 AM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I can't remember if Tom sells Fisher. He's the largest Giant dealer in the area, of course, and he carries Kona, Raleigh(?), and Electra, I think. But any excuse for a trip to the shop is a good one.

I'll have to go by Adam's too.

Maybe I'm turning into an old fud, but bikes like the Electra Amsterdam are beginning to look good. And I'll have to read some about the 29er bikes. I'm really not on top of any of that information.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

29er is just a mountain bike with 700c diameter wheels, but you probably know that already.

Electra's feet forward design means that 100% of your weight is on the saddle. If you're just going a mile or three that's okay. Much more than that and I'm feeling it. YMMV.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home