Friday, June 19, 2009

Bicycle commuter savings calculator

Kiplinger has a commuter calculator that's supposed to tell you how much you save by riding a bicycle to work and back. It asks you to plug in the round trip distance, parking fees, and any tolls. Then it gives you an estimate.

Now, I don't pay for parking or tolls, and my commute is 17 miles round trip. This calculator says I save $7.72 per day! That can't be right, can it?

Their methodology says that driving costs 55 cents per mile while cycling costs 19 cents per mile.

LINK TO CALCULATOR

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger The Donut Guy said...

My cycling costs are a bit higher. Mine are about 300 dollars a mile. I bought a bike right before my knee surgery and have only ridden it twice so far......

4:45 AM  
Blogger Paul Tay said...

Whatever. Any savings due to my cycling is already spent on debt service to pay off the GM bailout that went NOWHERE.

9:25 AM  
Blogger amidnightrider said...

I used my bike savings and the economic recovery to buy a new Pontiac.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w0pPtKqUAbE/SiXQwN6T6RI/AAAAAAAAH24/Wp688H3zPgk/s400/S7301352.JPG

6:17 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

The old Ford Contour finally died in May. We replaced it with a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix, the nicest car I've ever had. I just hope it's as tough as that Ford.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Risan said...

The car cost includes insurance, so to truly save you have to drop that too.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I'm reading Mionske's book right now, and one of the things he said is that automobile insurance coverage can protect you from uninsured motorists and crash-related medical costs. It's a subject worthy of a longer post.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home