Sunday, July 24, 2011

Need I say more?


I'm wondering if it's possible to hibernate until mid-September. I was out and about yesterday afternoon in the heat as we tried to find another car for Jordan. My leg muscles protested. They were stiff and cramped, usually the sign of dehydration. I'm drinking water almost constantly in an effort to keep up.

The house air conditioner struggles too. It's the original unit installed when the house was built, so it's cranky and tries very hard to maintain a 25 degree difference between inside and outside.

With only one or two exceptions, it's been over 100F here for weeks. When I left for work yesterday morning, it was 88F - at 4AM.

I'm desperately looking forward to cooler weather.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Skinner said...

Come and visit us in Astoria, OR; we will be lucky if we hit seventy-five today.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Mary and I were talking about this last night. When we lived in PA, summers were easier to take since it rarely stayed in the 90s for long. Even at night, it dropped into the 60s. That was easier to take, I think. I could tolerate winter once it dropped below freezing and stayed there. But the cold, wet stuff is hard on my old bones, just as this relentless heat makes me dehydrate and makes my muscles hurt.

Is Astoria on the wet side of the mountains or the dry side? I've been to Seattle for a week once, and saw the sun there one day.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Steve A said...

Ed, Astoria is where they shot "Goonies" and "Kindergarten Cop." Really wet...

Even I'm starting to get tired of the monotonous weather.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

We watched a thunderstorm track off to the east this afternoon. It was south of Tulsa and waaaay south of us. I think everyone in the region was hoping it would come their way. One nice thing, though, was it brought some cloud cover. The temperature dropped 10 degrees. It was only 105!

8:15 PM  
Blogger lemmiwinks said...

Wow! 42-43 degrees? Like an Aussie summer!

If you're cramping, try an occasional electrolyte drink (preferably not some premixed rubbish like Gatorade). One with magnesium should help the cramps, I use Staminade powder and mix my own before a race but I think Staminade is Australian so you probably can't get it over there.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home