Monday, October 01, 2007

This just in...

I'm still shaking.

As we left the junior varsity football game this evening, I nearly stepped out in front of a speeding car at a pedestrian crossing. There's a signalized mid-block crossing to permit pedestrians access to parking lots on both sides of the road. Mary was to my right and I turned my head toward her as the light changed to green for us. I stepped forward without looking to my left. A woman was determined to run the red light, and whooshed by less than an arm length away.

If I had taken another step, I wouldn't be writing this. My water bottle banged off the side of her car. It was that close.

I'm pissed off. Nothing gives motorists the right to ignore red lights and endanger pedestrians. Nothing.

3 Comments:

Blogger brother yam said...

Hey Dog,

Maybe it's time for a letter to the editor. Some linguistic Judo that goes a little like this:

"I respect automobile drivers. I even drive myself from time to time, but there is no excuse for behavior such as..."

and:

"The actions of these drivers are a stain on the whole of the driving public. I don't want to paint the entire group, but if they can't control the actions of a few rogue motorists, I just don't know if we'll be able to trust anyone in a car ever again."

Ad lib as necessary. Or, find one of the millions of editorials chastising bicyclists for having the temerity to ride on their streets and switch car references with bike references and mail that puppy in...

7:58 AM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I like Yam's suggestion, though I suspect it might be a little subtle for most people.

I'm glad you survived that, Ed. Part of the problem is that we as motorists are so unaccustomed to seeing pedestrians and cyclists that we don't look out for them. I've certainly done my share of bone headed driving in my lifetime.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I like that idea! I'll work something up a send it. And of course, I'll post it here for your amusement and edification. Feel free to copy and paste.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home