Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ice storm update 3

It's just after 6AM as I write this. The power went out at my house about 12 hours ago. This time, it's out all over Owasso except for those businesses with generators. There are 2 shopping areas to our west and south. With the low-hanging clouds, their lights reflected off the cloud layer and gave the neighborhood a dim glow. Outside, it was nearly as bright as a full moon. Enough dim light filtered in through the windows so that we could move around without bumping into things. A light fog settled in making it difficult to see at ground level, but the eerie glow coming from above was welcome.


At mid-afternoon yesterday, Jordan called Panera and offered to work if they needed him. They did. The restaurant had their highest grossing day ever! When I arrived to take Jordan home, Martin, the store manager, said they were down to one kind of soup and they had only 3 or 4 bagels left. No bread, no sandwiches, no salads, no panini. I've never seen that place looking so bare.


Driving was odd too, because there were no streetlights or traffic lights. Owasso Public Works put out temporary 4-way stop signs at all the signalized intersections, but crossing them was still a crap shoot. Many people didn't see the signs in the fog or they simply ignored them.


(Later)


At noon today, the temperature was 33F. Radar shows ice to our north and west, with rain in the Tulsa area. That could change to ice. Let's hope it doesn't. There's a steady stream of showers moving from southwest to northeast directly over us. A slight change in temperature could be disastrous.


Rumors abound as they always do in situations like this. One co-worker told me the power wouldn't be on until this time next week. Another said it better be on in his neighborhood when he gets home or “there will be hell to pay.” I guess those businesses with generators have some unfair advantage as far as he's concerned.


I'm writing this during lunch. The maintenance base has it's own generators so we have lights and heat. I was told the 400 Hz aircraft power has been on and off, but I don't use it, so I can't confirm that.


Owasso Public Works just said that the power is on along 76th Street, so they're removing the temporary stop signs because the signals are operating. I haven't heard anything about my neighborhood yet, but I'm hoping Mary will call soon to tell be the lights work again. She was worried that we'd lose everything in the freezer. Jordan would have to force himself to eat nearly a half-gallon of ice cream, but he'd throw himself on that grenade for the greater good of the family. What can I say? The kid is selfless.


(Later still)


It's just before 5PM. Our power is still out. I took a quick shower when I got home from work. Afterward, the warm front from the bathroom met the cold front coming down the hallway, and Mary wondered if we'd get tornadoes in the bedroom.


Several trees in our yard are damaged to the point that they'll have to be removed, including the large oak out front. I'll miss that tree.


Of course, I'll write more about this, but for now, just know that we're OK. The house may be a little bit chilly and dark, but it's still habitable. You don;t want to know what it's like to shave by candlelight. I'm not too sure I want to know, either.


I'm posting this from Panera via their wi-fi.





Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Apertome said...

All the stuff that's going on there is pretty crazy. I really wish I had something helpful to say, but I don't. I've been following your posts though and I am thinking of you. Be careful and keep everyone in your family safe! I hope things return to normal soon.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Thanks for the updates, Ed.

How are you keeping the house warm? Wood or kerosene stove? Gas range in the kitchen?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

We installed a gas log in the living room a few years ago, Fritz. It keeps the south end of the house warm, maybe not as warm as the furnace, but warm enough to be habitable. The north end of the house, where my bathroom is located, is entirely different. I don't mind it much, but Mary surely does.

We actually had a good time playing board games and entertaining each other. We had lots of candles and flashlights. Naturally, I discovered a Coleman lantern in the garage this afternoon. I'd forgotten about it. I used to have an Aladdin lamp that threw as much light as the Coleman lantern, but didn't make nearly as much noise. It broke years ago and I tossed it. I may look for another one now.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home