Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Startling discovery in the Goodwill Store


I habitually stop in the local Goodwill store to look for old cameras, old books, old coffee makers, etc. 'Old' seems to be key. I found this Star Trek Barbie and Ken on display right inside the front door. I've never seen one of these previously, and as a dyed-in-the-wool geek, I just had to take a photo of it. Not buy it, mind you. I'm not that crazy.

The store manager saw me and said that photography isn't allowed in the store. That's OK. It's private property and they can call the shots. At least she didn't demand that I delete the images.

And on reflection, it's a disturbing image. Look carefully and you'll notice that Captain James Tiberius Kirk and Ken are holding hands! I wonder if Barbie knows. For that matter, I wonder if Spock knows. He can do that Vulcan mind meld thing, after all.

Anyway, I'm proud that our local Goodwill shop can be so open and progressive by putting something like this on display. This is Oklahoma, you know.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger lemmiwinks said...

My knowledge of both Star Trek and Barbie and Ken leaves a lot to be desired (or not, depending on your point of view), but I had no idea there was a Star Trek Barbie and Ken! Resplendent in Star Fleet uniforms no less.

Gotta wonder what the target market was there. Doll collecting Star Trek geeks? Pretty niche surely. Geeky little girls who are really into Star Trek? Again, niche you'd think.

Out of curiosity, how much did they have on it? Maybe we missed a potential investment goldmine back in the '80s.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Truthfully, I didn't even look at the price, but they're listed on ebay from roughly $25-$50 US dollars. Since Number One Daughter is a Barbie fan, I'm going to put that image on her desktop in her Toshiba. Sure, she likes Barbie, but she's definitely NOT a Star Trek fan.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Steve A said...

Perhaps that explains why Barbie appears to be grimacing...

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home