Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Posts may be sporadic...

My 'new' laptop puked and died. It partially boots into Windows, then stops cold. Yoda and Wade figure something in the BIOS is either corrupted or the NVRAM chip itself is faulty. Yes, I could try to flash the RAM and re-install the BIOS, but this unit is still under warranty, so the most likely outcome will be a return to Compaq.

Much of CycleDog is on that machine. I've stored a few drafts on Bloglines, but the bulk of the posts are inaccessible for now. Worse yet, all the training and tracking information for my 'real' work is on that machine too.

Wade offered one of his Toshiba laptops as a loaner, and tonight I said I'd take him up on that.

CycleDog may be experiencing temporary outages.

Please stand by....

Please stand by....

Please stand by....

Please stand by....

4 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Take a backup of the data before you send it in - HP will wipe the drive and reinstall the Windows image if they think Windows is corrupted. You might have to put the drive in another laptop and boot off a recovery CD like Knoppix and copy the data off to a USB drive - that's how my co-worker did it when he had to send his back.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Apertome said...

I'm sorry to hear about your computer woes. Good luck getting back up and running.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Thanks for the advice, Steve. I back up all my files at the first of the month, so the worst I can do is lose a few weeks of posts. My work data is backed up weekly onto a USB device equipped with PortableApps. If you haven't tried this, you should. It has Firefox, Thunderbird, and the Open Office suite on a thumb drive.

4:25 PM  
Blogger lemmiwinks said...

BIOS?! I hope the well meaning folks who suggested that don't work in IT... Windoze corrupt? High probability. I dunno why people waste their time with that piece of garbage.

Hope it gets fixed ASAP and with the minimum of fuss for you.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home