Friday, August 29, 2008

Food! Glorious food!

This will be short. I took a vacation day in order to stretch out the weekend.

I had lunch today at Simply Sushi, an new sushi bar located on 86th Street in Owasso, just south of the Eighth Grade Center. My family is more the meat-and-potatoes type, so I'm the only one who engages in eating 'adventures.' Sushi is turning into one of my favorites.

Today I had edamame for the first time. These are young soybeans still in the pod. They're cooked in salt water, spiced, and served hot. It's much like eating boiled peanuts, and just like peanuts, they can be addictive it seems. They make a wonderful and nutritious snack or appetizer.

Also, I had the Cowboy Roll today. This is hoisin beef, carrots, and sprouts wrapped in rice.

I'll be honest - this is not a lot of food, but it's probably the amount I should be eating at lunch rather than the amount I want to eat. Having the edamame along side kept my fingers busy with munching.

All of that went well with a cold, sweet iced tea, the chardonnay of the South.

So if you're out and about on your bike somewhere north of Tulsa, and you're in the mood for sushi, stop in at Simply Sushi.

13720 E 86th Street N
Owasso, OK
Dine in and take out available
609-6805

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

I'm a big fan of edamame! You can pick it up in the frozen food section at most grocery stores. Then just boil it and throw some sea salt on it...mmmmmmmmm

I've never had boiled peanuts...

5:07 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I had boiled peanuts in South Carolina. They're unroasted peanuts in the shell boiled in salt water. In all honesty, I prefer fresh roasted peanuts to the boiled ones, but if I could find frozen edamame here, it would be a staple in our refrigerator. Our local market doesn't have it, but there's another one just north of here that I haven't tried yet.

5:50 PM  
Blogger getinlost said...

My wife has picked some up here at the Sam Club. I've not tried it, but perhaps I will...

9:50 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I've had grocery store sushi too, and believe me, it doesn't compare to the fresh one. It's the difference between a grocery store pre-packaged hamburger and one you've cooked on the grill.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home