Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Is it still only Tuesday?

Here's the source of much frustration.  This is the Yashica Electro 35 GT that has an intermittent electrical problem.  In looking at the schematic, I concluded that the only point in common with both problems (exposure and battery check circuits) was the negative battery terminal.  It's buried under the rangefinder assembly inside the top cover.  

Notice the cute little pigs on my bandana.  I'd prefer a solid color in case I dropped a small part.  It's easier to find that way.  But this was the only one I had on hand.  Also, notice the paint tray from Hobby Lobby.  These are very useful for holding and organizing small parts, but I can't use it at work because it's not safe in an electromagnetic discharge environment.    

This is the rangefinder assembly.  It's held in place by two small screws, one of them inside the assembly where you have to be careful about touching or scratching the parts.  It comes out as a unit, revealing the negative battery terminal in all it's pristine glory.  Yep, it appears to be just fine.  No corrosion.  No frayed wires.  And of course, I don't have a probe that will allow me to check it here at home.  Grrr.

Worse, I don't want to take it into work because the FAA is out and about this week.  I've never had problems with one of their inspectors (knock on wood) and I don't want to start now.

The Kodak has a high ISO setting that automatically chooses a very fast speed in low light conditions.  I haven't really played with it much, so before leaving for work I shot these two images.  And naturally, I forgot to disable the flash when I took the first one!   It's slightly creepy since the flash washed out all the color.

This one actually looks better reduced than it did in the full-size version.  The noise is very apparent in the bigger one.  I'll try this again with the tripod and a much lower ISO.  It would have been interesting to do that this morning, but first, I was in a hurry to get to work and second, we had freezing fog out there.  Honestly, it was just below freezing and a mist hung in the air.  The cold and damp seemed to go straight to my bones.  I've been chilled all day.

As I said yesterday, this would be another busy day.  Two of our cats were to go to the vets to be neutered this morning, so they were not allowed anything to eat or drink after midnight.  That meant Mary picked up all the food and water.  At 3AM, a crowd of hungry, thirsty cats stormed the bedroom door carrying torches and pitchforks.  OK, they really didn't do that.  They just sat in the hallway meowing.  Mittens - the geriatric female - sat out there and howled.  I was ready to kill all of them.  

At mid-morning, I came home to take the toms to the vets.  Mary doesn't drive, so it was my responsibility.  "Yeah, see what happens when you guys piss me off?  Snip, snip, snip!" I chortled.

Mary gave me a level stare.  "Just see what happens when you piss ME off!" she said.

I'm staying out of her way tonight. 

Labels: , ,


Blogger Steve A said...

Actually, it's Wednesday night.

Now, it's "She who must be obeyed - or else."

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home