Saturday, December 22, 2007

Saturday morning...so far


(Image from Excitations.com)

It's been fun. Wade and I met for coffee, as usual, then went over to IHOP to have breakfast with my daughter before she went to work. We sat in a booth waiting for Lyndsay to arrive. She was only 10 minutes late, timely for her.

The waitress came to take our orders.

"I'll have the Belgian waffle," I said. She dutifully wrote it down. "Is that made with real Belgians?" I managed that with a straight face.

Her eyes flew open wide. Her mouth dropped. She didn't say a word!

I cracked up. "I'm sorry. I just couldn't pass it up."

She took the rest of the orders, then wandered off muttering to herself.

It got better.

When I returned home, Jordan and his friend Zack were just waking up after a long night playing video games. Jordan wanted pancakes.

"You know how to make pancakes," I said.

"No, I don't! You always make them and your's are better."

I let this pass. He's made pancaked before, but a parent has to pick his battles carefully. I walked out to the kitchen with the boys trailing along.

"He's gonna make us pancakes!" Jordan crowed.

Zack said, "I don't think so, dude. He's just gonna give you a cookbook."

Instead, I got a box of Bisquik from the cupboard and handed it to Jordan. "Read the directions."

I supervised as he puttered around, finding the mixing bowl, measuring cups, and all the ingredients. That was tough: milk, an egg, and Bisquik. It was rocket science as far as Jordan was concerned.

He flipped the third pancake. "I have this down!" The kid does not lack for confidence.

They each had a stack of pancakes. I came out to the living room to write this while they ate. I'll post it, and then go look at the devastation they've done to the kitchen.

Kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

One of my ideas is a cooking show for kids to post to YouTube, starring my children of course ;-) And yeah, the kitchen is always a disaster zone after the kids have been there.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home