Friday, August 29, 2008

Evening shift at IHOP

Last night, Jordan was at work waiting tables at IHOP. A customer came in alone and was seated in his area. Jordan went over to the table and the man ordered two meals, one for himself and one for his wife. The kitchen was humming right along, so the plates were ready quickly. Jordan took them to the table and was slightly surprised to find the man still alone.

He was sobbing.

Jordan asked if he were alright and the man told him his wife had passed away just recently. He'd come into IHOP and ordered her favorite. It was just too overwhelming and he began to cry.

When he regained his composure, he ate his meal in silence, then called for the check. Jordan said, “No, this is on me. I paid for both meals.” And he did. He took the cost out of the tips he'd made and paid for the meal with the knowledge of his manager.

Sometimes our kids do things that are simply astounding. I can't get him to go to bed on time, clean up his room, or clear off his dishes after breakfast. Then he does something like this and lets Mary and I know that we instilled the right values in him where it counts, deep in his heart.

I'm very proud of my son today.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg! said...

You should be proud, you've raised a good kid.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need a tissue.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

That was good.

When I arrived for my interview for my current job, the hiring manager hadn't shown up for work that day. Nobody knew where he was -- he didn't return calls, he hadn't left messages, nothing. This manager's boss ended up interviewing me and arranged for other people to interview me also, but the fact that the hiring manager wasn't interested in talking with me was a bit unsettling.

His body was found two days later. He had apparently jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge the morning of my interview. It turns out this guy was very depressed, and his depression led to his suicide. Tragic and very sad.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I've heard of people setting a place at the table for a spouse or a child who has died. It's an understandable way to deal with grief.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Mary read this a few hours ago. When she reached the part about the two of us instilling the right values, she claimed it was all her doing, not mine. She's humble that way.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home