Tuesday, July 14, 2009

This just in

Photo from BRAIN


Bicycle Retailer and Industry News (BRAIN) has a story on a new business in Portland.

Cycle Dog, owned by Lanette Fidrych, is a relatively new company that makes dog leashes and collars out of old bike inner tubes. “I am an avid bicyclist, and along with that comes a lot of flat tires,” Fidrych said. “I felt is was wrong to throw these old tubes away, so I started thinking about what to do with them. I have two dogs and I never had enough leashes and collars. I started sewing these products for them, and found that my family and friends loved them.

MORE

I'd like to help him out by donating old inner tubes, but (ahem) I never get flat tires.

Actually, I think Fidrych is doing all of us a service by recycling our flats. How many times have you seen discarded tubes along the road after a big group tour goes through?

If my Springer Spaniel were still alive, I'd have to get one of these collars for her. Then there was this girl I knew who wore a dog collar to the horror of her roommates, but that's not something to discuss here.

He has a Cycle Dog account on Twitter, too. I hope we don't confuse people over the names. There's a distinct possibility that when I originally set up the CycleDog blog, I just left out that space due to my abysmal typing skills. So don't get confused - Cycle Dog for leashes and collars, CycleDog for satire, sarcasm, screaming rants, and the odd bit of sanity now and then.

Good luck, Lanette! If anyone strays in here looking for your products, I'll send them your way.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger RANTWICK said...

I love old bicycle tubes. I have found nearly as many uses for them as duct tape.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I think this is a pretty swell reuse for bicycle tubes. Here's another photo.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home